cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <>
Subject Re: Confused about serialization API
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2001 19:14:40 GMT
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 06:24:08AM -0700, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> > As i answered earlier, you can inject a transformer in between that will resolver
the relative
> > URL's and pump in the absolute url's just before your serializer is called. Will
this work?
> It will certainly. Probably a plain XSLT transformation with some
> string manipulation would be enough to make URLs absolute so
> there's even no need to write a custom transformer.
> I'm still wondering, though, even after reading some mail
> archives, what's wrong inside the idea of Serializers being
> part as a whole of the Cocoon system with access to the
> execution environment: most probably I'm not
> getting the point, but I can't see what would be wrong in
> having even those components know about the context they're
> running into. Giacomo said in a previous thread:
> > I'm still not conviced about the change and thus are -1 until someone
> > come along with better arguments why a serializer need access to the
> > environment.

Yes, I've said that and to tell you why I need to dig deep into a mail
archive to get the answers why we've decided to have the
do exactly this sole thing (serializing) without they have a need of the
environmental things they run in. This makes serializers as simple as
possible and thus we don't pass them any objectModel etc.

I'm honest, I don't remember why we decided that way.

> My argument in favor of the setup() approach is that I just
> banged my head against the wall of not being able to resolve
> relative URLs. This is not allowing me to insert images inside
> PDF files, just to cite an example.
> I'm not getting how putting another transformation
> step instead of getting a parameter from the environment can
> be a better solution: I tend to think that in the best case
> it turns out into an error-prone, difficult to maintain
> and redundant sitemap, if a serialization to some particular
> formats (actually any XSL:FO format as far as I can tell)
> needs a transformation just for being usable by the serializer.
> I'm not arguing at all, actually I assume that if this has
> been done on purpose and discussed there must have been a very
> good reason: I just would like to be enlightened on this
> issue, since probably I'm not getting a basic point in the
> Cocoon flow and design. Please shed some light. :)
> Thanks again,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message