cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sun confirmed bug in JPEGEncoder, affecting Batik
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:25:32 GMT
Michael Hartle wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> >Know what? I was *just* ready to file a bug report for the exact same
> >thing since the (yet to be released) cocoon-based image gallery uses
> >that class pretty heavily and the JVM keeps on crashing.
> >
> I was close to sweating blood on this one as at a clients site, the
> system kept on crashing. The whole navigation of this intranet website
> is being autogenerated from a central source when needed, neatly
> following a lengthy design specification, giving this bug every
> opportunity to show up. Since the patch has been applied, this Win2000
> system is close to being rock-stable. Best of all was that I needed to
> submit 3 bug reports to convince Sun that this bug was existant.

Oh, I was myself very puzzled by this one but after applying your patch
I can confirm that it works much better (and interesting enough, faster
for small images, well, of course, slower for bigger ones)

> >Anyway, many thanks for the workaround: I'll apply it to my code, test
> >it heavily and report ASAP.
> >
> You're welcome ;) I am currently connecting Documentum 4i and Cocoon as
> a standard solution for an enterprise-wide deployment, and I am grateful
> for the flexibility and power of Cocoon2.

Which makes you a perfect candidate for another "real-life howto" of the
series that Sergio is going to start this weekend. If you find a few
hours and the will to do it, we would all be very grateful. You know,
those things are *very* useful when you have to go to your boss and say
"let's use this stuff" and they say "Cocoon? how much does it cost?" and
you say "it's free and it's very powerful".

All the usual management crap. Interesting enough, with
sort-of-recession hitting the world, commercial software ramps up
compared to OSS one due to this "lack of security" that everybody seems
to breath in the air. So, having documents that prove with numbers and
commercial test cases (expecially if connected to well-known commercial
products like Documentum) are going to be unbeatable as a way to change
your boss' mind when he wants to go .NET and you picture yourself
submerged with VB.NET books and plagued by MS-certified consultants.

Think about it, people, each one of us might be the very next.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.