cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <mhar...@hartle-klug.com>
Subject Re: small installation glitches with rc1
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:59:06 GMT
Per-Olof Norén wrote:

>>This is known problem/glitch with the jdk on solaris and linux.
>>In this case it is batik libraries that uses some functions of the
>>jdk that in turn uses x.
>>This, according to friends of mine, can be simulated on x-less servers
>>using virtual frame buffer that is found on Redhat at least.

The tool Xvfb can be found on other distributions like SuSE, too; there
it is contained in an RPM called xextra*. When you have installed Xvfb,
try starting it up via something like

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :0.0 -fp
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc -fn
lucidasans-8

where you have modified the parameters and paths to your liking. Don't
forget to set up DISPLAY accordingly depending where you want your X
apps to connect to. According to several comments I have read, JDK 1.4
can work headless, so does not require the virtual frame buffer under
Linux anymore, but as far as I have tested it, Batik does not produce
any visual result under JDK1.4. I am still checking out that one. When
you are working more closely with Batik, check out the
JPEGEncoderImpl-bug of Sun so you do not run into that one; I sent a
test and patch to this list some days ago.

Best regards,

Michael