cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New cocoon site
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:57:45 GMT
Sergio Carvalho wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Congratulations to all Cocoon 2 developers!

Oh, BTW, I join everybody in thanking all of you for this great thing.
Expecially Carsten for doing a magnificent job in coordinating the
effort. It feels great to be part of this community.

> The site I've been developing the
> last couple of months has now gone on full launch. You can see it on:
>  http://www.portugalmail.pt
>  http://www.portugalmail.com
> (I'm sorry for the language. There's only a portuguese version...)
>
> I took some risks opting for Cocoon, but C2 was the only technology that would
> allow me to do the site in a couple of months by myself. I must say I'm really
> impressed at how C2 handles load. Portugalmail is the leading portuguese free
> e-mail provider. The site serves 8 million pages a month (measured by banner
> impressions by DART). Typically, at any given moment, it is serving between 100
> and 200 requests, with peaks of 400. After HTTP caching, both by ISPs and by
> front-side caching, the dynamic server takes about 10% of the load, which sums
> up to 800k pages a month, for a month average of ~3s per page. Really excellent!
>
> The site is being served by two beautiful VA Linux boxes (gotta love the blue
> leds). One runs squid and Apache/mod_gzip,mod_php, and the other Tomcat and
> Postgresql. There is room for improvement on the "dynamic" box by upgrading both
> the RDBMS and the servlet container, but for now everything is happily humming
> along. If anyone is worried about C2's ability to handle large loads, here's the
> proof. It can handle large loads, and it can do it better than the common
> PHP/mod_perl.

Now: this is the news I wanted to hear!!!!

This is music for our ears.

Sergio, how about writing a good in-depth howto/test-case that shows new
users how to setup a system that rocks like that? it would be *very*
helpful for the cause.

What do you think?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.