cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Framework mods
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2001 19:38:07 GMT
Peter Royal wrote:

> At 11:04 AM 9/18/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >1) Simply replace the Loggable and AbstractLoggable classes with the proposed
> >    version.  This causes a backwards incompatibility, and is not preffered.
>
> I prefer this. Yes, it breaks compatibility, but I value a meaningful name
> over the break. (In my own self-centered view of the world, we have yet to
> ship our C2/Avalon product, so it won't cause me any headaches)

I hear your point, and will pass it to Avalon-dev.  I want as much input as
we can.

> As another alternative, org.apache.log.Logger is a class right now, what if
> that was made into an interface and used as the basis for the new common
> logging interface? Would that alleviate the need to change any existing
> code? I may be completely off base with that thought, but I figured I'd
> toss it out there.
> -pete

I don't agree with this assessment.  LogKit is it's own entity--Framework is
what is (potentially) providing a wrapper for the logging implementation.
For that reason, the wrapping interfaces/adapters need to be in Framework
and not LogKit.