cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject New cocoon site
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:17:06 GMT
Hi,

Congratulations to all Cocoon 2 developers! The site I've been developing the
last couple of months has now gone on full launch. You can see it on:
 http://www.portugalmail.pt
 http://www.portugalmail.com
(I'm sorry for the language. There's only a portuguese version...)

I took some risks opting for Cocoon, but C2 was the only technology that would
allow me to do the site in a couple of months by myself. I must say I'm really
impressed at how C2 handles load. Portugalmail is the leading portuguese free
e-mail provider. The site serves 8 million pages a month (measured by banner
impressions by DART). Typically, at any given moment, it is serving between 100
and 200 requests, with peaks of 400. After HTTP caching, both by ISPs and by
front-side caching, the dynamic server takes about 10% of the load, which sums
up to 800k pages a month, for a month average of ~3s per page. Really excellent!

The site is being served by two beautiful VA Linux boxes (gotta love the blue
leds). One runs squid and Apache/mod_gzip,mod_php, and the other Tomcat and
Postgresql. There is room for improvement on the "dynamic" box by upgrading both
the RDBMS and the servlet container, but for now everything is happily humming
along. If anyone is worried about C2's ability to handle large loads, here's the
proof. It can handle large loads, and it can do it better than the common
PHP/mod_perl.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Carvalho