cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: [excalibur] Catalog code
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:33:38 GMT
On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 08:04:02PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just had a look at Cocoons Catalog manager code and noticed it used Suns
> code. Considering the original code is in the public domain and Suns is under
> a less than desirable license I was wondering what advantage Suns code had?
> Would there be any advantage of using arbortexts PDed code directly?  I was
> thinking of adding it into Excalibur CVS and integrating it with some of our
> stuff. Anyone care to enlighten me why this may be a bad idea? ;)

I found a few minor bugs with the arbortext code (eg debug flags not getting
propagated), and one major bug (DOCTYPE doesn't work), which I mailed Norm
Walsh about. He said DOCTYPE would never work under XML due to namespace
issues, and mentioned that the Sun version had been "substantially modified",
whatever that means.

Anyway, I think it would be excellent to get *some* version of that catalog
code in under Jakarta, because it's darn useful stuff, and it doesn't have a
home. People all over the world are poking around in that code, discovering the
same bugs and limitations, and fixing them individually.

I've put an Ant-buildable version of the arbortext code at:

http://newgate.socialchange.net.au/~jeff/misc/catalog.tar.gz

--Jeff

Btw, for those who are wondering what the fuss is about, read:

http://www.arbortext.com/Think_Tank/XML_Resources/Issue_Three/issue_three.html