cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From liste...@eunum.com
Subject testing/performance framework for Cocoon
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2001 16:56:23 GMT
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:43:34 +1000, Jeff Turner &lt;jeff@socialchange.net.au&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; &gt; This is part of the functionality I'm looking for. I also need some<br>
&gt; &gt; rudimentary support for defining variables, so that values extracted<br>
&gt; &gt; from one response document can be used later in the test. Ant<br>
&gt; &gt; properties seem to do a good job of this.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; How could you do that in Ant?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; In Latka, you can set properties, and refer to them with $ notation,<br>
&gt; but I don't think you can define new vars during a test.<br>
You cannot do this using an externally visible task, but in your Java<br>
code you can set the values of properties. If you really want to do<br>
it, you can even write a &lt;set&gt; task that sets the value of a property<br>
(not that I want to do it ;-).<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; Note that it doesn't use Ant. I suspect this is actually a good<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; thing. Ant 1.x is not flexible enough to be easily repurposed as
a<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; http testing engine. This will apparently be fixed in Ant 2, which<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; will be a generic "task execution engine", but for now, it's<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; probably harder to turn Ant into something it's not, than to start<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; again. For instance, there have been *many* submissions of an<br>
&gt; &gt; &gt; iterate, or &lt;foreach&gt; task:<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; As I looked at Ant, it appears to me the internal architecture is well<br>
&gt; &gt; designed and could support the testing framework I think of. The only<br>
&gt; &gt; problem I see is the usage of SAX1 API, which precludes one from using<br>
&gt; &gt; XML namespaces. I think this problem can be fixed though, by doing the<br>
&gt; &gt; appropriate changes within Ant, the code is very well localized. Other<br>
&gt; &gt; than this issue, I don't see any reason why Ant would not be a good<br>
&gt; &gt; framework to support this testing framework.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Would you please elaborate on your reasons why Ant's engine would not<br>
&gt; &gt; provide a good testing framework?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Grumble.. no-one's free to make wild unsubstantiated claims these<br>
&gt; days.. ;) It rather depends on how far you want to go with the<br>
&gt; "scripting" side of things. Eg, it is not possible to reassign variables<br>
&gt; in Ant, so the following might not be possible:<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &lt;iterate name="i" start="0" end="100" increment="1"&gt;<br>
&gt;     &lt;spawn threads="$<i>"&gt;<br>
&gt;       &lt;url-post href="$/test/echo"<br>
&gt;          content="contents/sample.xml"/&gt;<br>
&gt;       &lt;/spawn&gt;<br>
&gt; &lt;/iterate&gt;<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Other than that, I have no specific reasons why Ant couldn't be used,<br>
&gt; only a general warning that this is not ordinary Ant usage. Ant was<br>
with a real-time, threaded interface to this e-mail list, clickthe link below:</font><br><a
href="http://www.cn.eunum.com/homestead/61.html">cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org</a></p>