cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: links between samples and xdocs
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:46:02 GMT
Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > The "Entity catalogs" documentation has a direct link to the
> > "catalog" Cocoon sample. Likewise, there is also a link from the
> > sample demo back to its documentation. With careful sitemap
> > entries, i can get both links to work (and they do work in the
> > current CVS).
> >
> > However, i am concerned that when the next release ends up on
> > the wesbite at xml.apache.org/cocoon2/ then this documentation
> > link would break because there are no samples on that server.
> >
> > That brings up another point. Why are there no samples on the
> > website? When i first started exploring Cocoon, i was very confused
> > because i could not find the "samples" of which everyone spoke.
> > It took a long time to realise that the only way to see samples
> > was to set up your own local server.
>
> I think, that this is because it requires running Tomcat/Cocoon on the
> Apache Web site, but ASF site is mainly for static documentation, downloads,
> etc. and has no running servlets engines.

Thanks Konstantin, i expected some reason like that.
I would think that it is very important to have on-line live samples
to show Apache Cocoon power. Surely some benevolent soul
could provide reliable network access to running samples.
Then the "build site" ant target could tweak any samples links to
point from the main documentation at ASF site to the samples site.
Of course local "build docs" would still point to local samples.
cheers, David