cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: [C2] Release
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2001 14:14:43 GMT
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

>
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > Ok, due to high demand, here is again the proposed Release Plan:
> >
> > Hi Team,
> >
> > now that some weeks have passed since our last release (the beta 2),
> > we should plan our next steps for getting final with cocoon 2.
> >
> > Looking through the postings on the dev and user list over the last
> > weeks, I think we can be very proud of the current state of cocoon 2.
> > Of course there is enough space for improvements etc.
> >
> > Now that more and more people are getting used to cocoon 2, we get
> > more and more suggestions for making it better (and bigger). This
> > is really great and this is exactly what we need to keep on the
> > development of such a great open source project.
> > But I think, before we go on and change cocoon 2 here and there,
> > we should make a final release of 2.0 first.
> > We could then start with 2.1 and make the necessary changes (this
> > was one of the reasons why we currently maintain the two branches).
> >
> > Why a final release first? Many people (and companies) are waiting
> > for a long time to get c2. Most of them are scared of beta releases.
> > So if we make a final release we attract even more people and I
> > believe (or fear?) that the response might be overhelming us. They
> > can benefit from a final, offical release and we can benefit from
> > the reaction.
> >
> > So here is my suggestion:
> > - Making another beta which should include the points mentioned below
> > - Looking for a time (about four weeks) if everything is stable,
> >   fixing last bugs and making the final release (However, if the next
> >   beta is unstable, we must make another beta after the period of time
> >   and start with this point over and over again).
> >
> > What do we need for the next beta?
> > - Incorporate all outstanding patches and bugfixes (Dims has already
> >   requested for this).
> > - Fix all outstanding bugs
> > - Decide which parts of C2.1 should go into 2.0
> > - Update documentation. This point needs the most work, I think. The
> >   documentation is currently a bit crowded. For example we have the
> >   Sitemap documentation which explains all sitemap components, but
> >   for matchers, selectors and actions there are different documents.
> >   This should be unified and we should split the documentation into
> >   user and developer documentation. The user docs mainly for installing,
> >   configuring and using c2 by creating own pipelines and using the
> >   existing components.
> >   The developer doc should contain everything needed for building
> >   own components.
> > - Final versions of the other projects used by c2, mainly these
> >   are Avalon Excalibur, Avalon LogKit and Xalan. Perhaps we must also
> >   update to a newer FOP version.
> > - Layout the distribution: What files in which format should really
> >   get into the distribution. As everybody has the recompile the dist
> >   to get the examples (in detail the sql examples) running, I think
> >   we shouldn't include a half binary dist. We should only distribute
> >   the sources, the required libraries, examples and (perhaps build)
> >   documentation.
> >
> > I would propose to schedule the next (and hopefully final) beta for
> > the end of september, so we have the final release at the end of
> > October (the former ApacheCon Europe date....).
> >
> > Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
> >
> > Carsten
> >
> > Open Source Group                        sunShine - b:Integrated
> > ================================================================
> > Carsten Ziegeler, S&N AG, Klingenderstrasse 5, D-33100 Paderborn
> > www.sundn.de                          mailto: cziegeler@sundn.de
> > ================================================================
> >
> What about the "Cocoon contracts" post from Berin ? It contains
> interesting ideas to allow more components to be ThreadSafe - and thus
> avoid unnecessary pooling - but leads to interface changes.
>
> IMO, if interfaces should change, we'd better do that in the 2.0 branch
> than in 2.1 only, to avoid compatibility problems in the future.
>

+1, could you take care of  it?

Giacomo


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: cocoon-dev-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org
For additional commands, email: cocoon-dev-help@xml.apache.org


Mime
View raw message