cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Ruby" <ru...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Public API Change in Driver (Was Re: [GUMP] Build Failure - Cocoon2)
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:33:15 GMT
Weiqi Gao wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
> >
> > It appears that some fop interfaces are changing in a way that
> > will impact cocoon2... is there work underway to keep these
> > projects in synch?
> >
> > In particular, is there another backwards compatible set of
> > interfaces that cocoon2 should be using during the transistion?
>
> This is probably introduced by Mark's patch.  I have reported this in my
> report when I tested the patch before the commit (See the thread "FOP in
> servlet under load").  Mark mentioned it in his web site for the patch
too.

> The documentation ("Embedding") should probably be updated by the
committers
> to reflect the change.
>
> I don't think a backwards compatible interface is needed.  Not for
something
> with a version number of 0.19.0, and been characterized as pre-beta,
> not-production-ready and incomplete.  (If that doesn't buy the project
the
> rights to change the public interface at will, we might as well call it
> version 1.0).

I realize that xml-fop is one of those projects which is perennially in
alpha.  What I am looking for is concrete suggestions on how Cocoon2 should
deal with this state.

One possibility is that cocoon2 should drop support for FOP.  I think that
that would be unfortunate.

Another possibility is that cocoon2 monitor for changes in the public API
and engages in a dialog to resolve any issues that come up when they arise.
I am doing the former, and trying to spark an interest in the latter.

A third possibility is for fop to deprecate interfaces for a period of time
before change.  As you point out, perhaps this suggestion is premature.

- Sam Ruby