cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: [C2] [2.1-dev] various fixes and changes
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2001 07:33:54 GMT
> Michael Hartle wrote:
>
> Ovidiu Predescu wrote:
>
> >- in build.xml, the tools.jar is assumed to be in
> $JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar. It
> >turns out that JAVA_HOME usually points to the jre/ directory
> inside the jdk/
> >directory, while the tools.jar is in the lib/ directory of jdk/.
> Something like
> >this:
> >
> My JAVA_HOME points and has always pointed to the base directory
> containing Java, e.g. C:\Programme\JDK1.3.1 or /usr/local/jdk1.3.1, and
> as I am able to build several projects from different sources via Ant
> without any problem, I do not think that this assumption is valid. In
> case I just have been lucky all the time, please feel free to
> mention it ;)

I think we must distinct here between the environment variable JAVA_HOME
and the jvm system property "java.home". Whereas JAVA_HOME can be set
by the user to any value, the system property "java.home" always points
to the $JAVA_HOME/jre directory. This behaviour is specified by SUN.
I verified this on Windows with JDK 1.2.x and JDK 1.3.x.

Ant or the current build.xml uses the "java.home" property to get the
tools.jar which is simply wrong. So the patch is required.

Carsten