cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <g.rabell...@bibop.it>
Subject Re: Component setup
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:32:15 GMT
> > I'm planning to use initialize() in XMLDBGenerator in
> > order to obtain a database instance that will be reused
> > during the component lifetime: I actually did it and it
> > seems to work, yet by grepping the whole Cocoon code base
> > I see that Initializable is implemented only in Cocoon.java:
> > is that on purpose (i.e. is the use of Initializable discouraged
> > for some reason that I'm missing) or is it just a coincidence?
>
> Coincidence. Usually, databases have connection pools (is XML:DB an exclusion
> from this rule?)

I tend to think so. Given the API, having a connection pool wouldn't
make that much sense to me since the focus in on the Collection rather
than on the Connection, and the Collection has to be requested every
time. Pooling the component should be more than enough to give
good performance (at least I hope so :)).

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino