cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vgritse...@hns.com>
Subject RE: [C2 patch] Jikes 1.14
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 21:14:14 GMT
Hi Marcus,

> Hi Vadim,
>
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
> > I think I found the problem: I overlooked that fact that when printing the error,
jikes sometimes
> > inserts empty string. This should be fixed now. Please test - hope last time.
>
> 	Looks good. I get the same output.
>
> > > 	I had explicitly set 'line' to null so the first readline would always
> > > 	be executed (check the attached patch).
> >
> > This should not be done as line may contain first line of the next error, and every
> > error is parsed into separate CompileError object.
>
> 	My understanding of the code was different. I thought that:
>
> // first line is not space-starting
> if (line == null) line = input.readLine();
>
> 	always reads the first line of every error message (if existing), and

Not exactly.. Only for the first error (see below..)

> 	that:
>
> while (true) {
>     line = input.readLine();
>     buffer.append(line);
>     buffer.append('\n');
> }
>
> 	reads the rest of the lines for that particular error message.
>
> 	On my system, I always have an empty string of length 0 between each
> 	error message, and at the end of all the error messages.

Here I generally do not have empty strings between errors. They only appears
if there is no rt.jar in classpath.

> 	Hence setting 'line' to null kept everything in sync, as it only
> 	dropped the zero sized string, and broke control flow out the inner
> 	while loop - causing the first line of the next error message (if
> 	existing) to be read by the first statement above.
>
> 	Perhaps that's where we were seeing some platform differences ?

Yep. I have checked in change to report whole error, please check :)

> 	But everything looks good now. Thanks very much for your help. :-)

You are welcome. Otherwise I would need to install Linux :)

Vadim