cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject AW: [C2] ThreadSafe Interface
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:56:26 GMT
>> Hi,
>> some questions to the ThreadSafe interface:
>>
>> 1.Could somebody explain in few words what this ThreadSafe
>> Interface is doing?
>> Because the avalon api description is not really helpfull!

>The Avalon ComponentManager will share a single instance of this
>Component across requestors. It's something like producing a Singleton
>within the Avalon component managerment system.
Ok I understand. There is only one instance of the class in a "pool". When
requesting (thread, something else) for this class, the manager lock this
instance and only the calling thread can use it. Others have to wait.
Cool. That means public methods which are accessed by requestors must not be
synchronized, or?
But when I start an inner thread, which calls a private method in
this class, this method should be synchronized if needed. Do I have the
right
approach?

Cheers
Gerhard