cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject [C2]: Proposal for intermediate output stream
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 12:49:28 GMT
Hi,

I am currently thinking since some weeks of the following enhancement:

Creating an intermediate output stream for the response and not directly
writing to the output stream of the servlet engine (or the environment).

This would solve the following problems:
1. The output stream can be reset at any time, making redirections possible
   at every stage (although I personally don't like this, but there seems
   to be a great demand for it)
2. When the error pipeline is called due to any exception etc, the output
   stream should be reset as a new error generator starts producing new
   output. If accidentally something was already written to the output
   stream, you get a confusing response.
3. The special cocoon urls can currently not be used everywhere, e.g.
   inside a map:redirect-to statement. We could solve this by resetting
   the intermediate output stream and start on the server a new
   generation process without returning to the client.
4. The content length of each response can be determined. This seems
   to be important for the pdf generation (see the corresponding thread
   on the user list).

The only disadvante I see currently is some loss of performance.

Comments? Critics? Suggestions? Wishes?

Carsten