cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT C2]: Logging information
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2001 14:40:26 GMT

Berin Loritsch a écrit :

> giacomo wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >
> > > Hi C2ers,
> > >
> > > what do you think about enhancing the information logged to the
> > > cocoon.log?
> > > For debugging etc. it would help to have a better formatted
> > > time information, the current url request perhaps the current
> > > ip address of the client etc.
> > > So I would suggest to pass the current environment/objectModel
> > > to the logging methods and they can extract everything they
> > > need from it and log it.
> >
> > That wont work. You cannot extend the logging methods. You can write a
> > custom LogTarget. We have solved such things by having a LogTarget as a
> > Avalon Component which is put into work after the ComponentManager has
> > been initialized.  But this only works for Configuration stuff. As the
> > Environment/objectModel are request dependant (not thread safe) but the
> > LogTarget is/should be ThreadSafe you have a problem.
> >
> > The other way is (IIRC) some contextStack you can push things upon and
> > have your LogTarget pop it off there. But also I don't know how this
> > works in a multi threaded environment like a Servlet.
>
> Whenever I get the opportunity, I want to augment the ExcaliburComponentManager
> to define log targets and such.  That way we can have multiple files, etc.
> to split all the info into.

Will you do it using additional attributes on the configuration element,
like for the pool ? If so, we may end up with a lot of
ComponentManager-related attributes whose name may conflict with the
component's own attributes names.

I know Avalon configuration isn't namespace-aware, but it could be
useful to distinguish infrastructure-related attributes from component
attributes at least by the namespace prefix ("avalon:" or "excalibur:").

(RT) Going further, the Avalon configuration could be extended with
namespace-aware methods to allow a clean separation of these concerns.

My .02 euro.
--
Sylvain Wallez