cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ovidiu Predescu <ovi...@cup.hp.com>
Subject [C2] TimeStampCacheValidity possible problem
Date Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:25:07 GMT
Hi,

There are two things I think are wrong with the current implementation
of TimeStampCacheValidity and in general with the way dealing with
dates is done in Cocoon2.

The first issues is that we are using a long instead of a Date to
store and compare two dates. Java uses long to represent dates with a
resolution of a millisecond starting from 1970, and thus has the year
2037 bug. We should be using Date instead of long, which supposedly
should be safe from this problem.

This problem pops up everywhere within the code, including in the
Source class, and the TraxTransformer.

The second issue is in the CacheValidity interface
specification. Shouldn't the specification should actually say that
the receiver object is valid if its timestamp is less than that of the
parameter?

Greetings,
--
Ovidiu Predescu <ovidiu@cup.hp.com>