cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Alternatives to sitemap
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:39:14 GMT

Now that we're sharing opinions on C2, I must agree that although the sitemap has its defects,
it is the one feature that makes me use C2. The ability to describe and get an overview of
a site (webapp) in one file is outstanding. It is not that difficult to learn, once you understand
the paradigm being used. As every paradigm shift, there's a learning curve, steeper than if
you'd just be using the same concepts you used before, but the gains justify the effort.

Being good doesn't mean its perfect, though. Beyond better SoC and a more forgiving code generation,
which I agree on, I'd vouch for a simpler sitemap:
 - Views and resources could be looked at as just another match. Even if marked for internal
use only. What makes them so fundamentally different that justifies another element?
 - Parameter passing: I don't understand the reasoning behind different HTTP and sitemap parameters.
HTTP parameters should be automagically available for use in the sitemap and sitemap parameters
should be seemingly available in components, both sharing the same API. Its easier on programmers,
makes up for a simpler Cocoon API and IMHO is one more step in the direction of environment
independence.

This said, I must compliment all Cocoon developers, for the great piece of software you designed.
I'm a big fan of C2, and I only regret not being more participative code-wise. Kudos!

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:54:54 +0200, "Ignacio J. Ortega" <nacho@siapi.es> wrote:
--
> Hola a todos:
>
> Sorry for jump in the thread, but this is was a RT is intended to
> produce in everyone? No? :)
>
> > > The sitemap is the most complex piece in the entire Cocoon system,
> > > and as a result, it is difficult for new users to comprehend it.
> >
> > True, but when they do, they understand the entire thing, unlike
> > previously with Cocoon1 which was "magic art" all the way to
> > the metal,
> > even for expert users.
> >

> It seems that everybody agrees of the sitemap being *the* hard part of
> cocoon2 ?
>
> Sitemap *is* a piece of cake compared to everything in servlet spec, a
> honey sweet meal compared to web.xml .... Thats my feeling being used to
> the art of servlet container programming ...
>
> XSLT is much worse...
>
> I'm lurking here only because of the existence of the sitemap ...:) so
> dont hit so hard at it , sitemap dont deserves such heavy lifting to get
> used to..
>

> my 0.02 ?
>
> Saludos ,
> Ignacio J. Ortega