cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: [C2]: Proposal for intermediate output stream
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2001 22:21:49 GMT
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:49:28 +0200, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziegeler@sundn.de> wrote:
--
> Hi,
>
> I am currently thinking since some weeks of the following enhancement:
>
> Creating an intermediate output stream for the response and not directly
> writing to the output stream of the servlet engine (or the environment).
>
> This would solve the following problems:
> 1. The output stream can be reset at any time, making redirections possible
>    at every stage (although I personally don't like this, but there seems
>    to be a great demand for it)
> 2. When the error pipeline is called due to any exception etc, the output
>    stream should be reset as a new error generator starts producing new
>    output. If accidentally something was already written to the output
>    stream, you get a confusing response.
> 3. The special cocoon urls can currently not be used everywhere, e.g.
>    inside a map:redirect-to statement. We could solve this by resetting
>    the intermediate output stream and start on the server a new
>    generation process without returning to the client.
> 4. The content length of each response can be determined. This seems
>    to be important for the pdf generation (see the corresponding thread
>    on the user list).
>
> The only disadvante I see currently is some loss of performance.
>
> Comments? Critics? Suggestions? Wishes?

Wouldn't this break streaming? i.e. producing output even when only part of the result has
been processed? Streaming buys you some processing time if you have 'heavy' pages, but still
want to follow the rule of thumb of producing some feedback in under 3s and the whole page
in 7s.

--
Sergio Carvalho