cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vgritse...@hns.com>
Subject [OT: Avalon][Patch] Deadlock in Excalibur's DefaultPool
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:20:52 GMT
Hello,

In my effort to eliminate resource leackage in ContentAggregator,
I found that Excalibur's DefaultPool is deadlock-prone.
Deadlock situation occur when component which is being returned
to pool is also want to return component of the same type
(effectively, to the same pool).

I do not have Avalon CVS on hand, so here is description of the change
instead of a patch.

To fix the problem, part of the put() method which now read:
        try
        {
            super.m_mutex.lock();
            if(obj instanceof Recyclable)
                ((Recyclable)obj).recycle();
            super.m_active.remove(super.m_active.indexOf(obj));
            getLogger().debug("Returning a " + super.m_factory.getCreatedClass().getName()
+ " to the pool");
Should be:
        try
        {
            if(obj instanceof Recyclable)
                ((Recyclable)obj).recycle();
            super.m_mutex.lock();
            super.m_active.remove(super.m_active.indexOf(obj));
            getLogger().debug("Returning a " + super.m_factory.getCreatedClass().getName()
+ " to the pool");

I think that Berin or any other active Avalon developer should be able
to fix this.

PS: This should go actually to Avalon list, but I'm not subscribed...

Thanks,
Vadim