cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: [C2] Build targets
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:42:57 GMT
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> Quoting Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@sundn.de>:

> > libraries?

> > > How can I know which jar is necessary for Cocoon engine and which one
> > is
> > > used only in a sample? Of course, I can try to delete one-by-one and
> > see
> > > what happens :)

> > and

> > specify
> > >
> > > As I can see, this jars are not necessary if I don't need samples and
> > some
> > > of the actions:
> > >
> > > axis.jar
> > > axis-samples.jar
> > > batik-libs.jar
> > > bsf.jar
> > > fop-0_18_1.jar
> > > hsqldb.jar
> > > jimi-1.0.jar
> > > junit.jar
> > > maybeupload.jar
> > > rhino.jar
> > > Tidy.jar
> > > velocity-1.1-rc1.jar
> > > xt.jar
> > >
> > > Am I right or maybe some this libs is required for Cocoon itself?
> > >
> > Am not sure about all of them but the maybeupload.jar is required as it
> > is
> > directly used by the Request object created for each request.
> > All others seem to be optional, but of course you have to remove all
> > references
> > from the sitemap.xmap, e.g. you have to remove the html generator etc.

> > only.

> > > By "core Cocoon" I mean Cocoon engine without any Form
> > > processing, DB, SVG,
> > > FOP, i18n samples and actions.
> > >
> > > But... maybe you are right saying that it's easier to delete all
> > > unnecessary
> > > things that you don't need in your application.
> > >
> > Personally, I don't like the term "core Cocoon" for this case as I
> > think that the "core Cocoon" is the whole project without examples.
> > But this includes all provided generators, transformers etc. as most
> > of them are very usefull and also required to build web applications.
> > What you think of, I would rather call a "minimal Cocoon".
> > But anyway these are only terms.
>
> One thing that we can do for convenience is to update the build.xml to not
> depend on specific jars and exclude the sources for compilation
> if those jars
> are absent (see PhpGenerator).

Hi,

I just added a very simple command line tool (called st for sitemap tool)
which is actually a java class. This tool can be called from the build.xml
during build and can add sitemap entries to the build sitemap.xmap.
I changed the build.xml so that an entry for the PhpGenerator is added
to the sitemap if the php generator is compiled.

We could do this for all other "optional" components as well, for example
even for the fop classes. So we would need to add more complexity to the
build script.

One could also imagine to add a new constraint saying: "examples or not"
and we could enhance the st tool to generate (include) example pipelines
during the build rather then hardcoding in the build.xml.

Carsten