cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Hartle <mhar...@hartle-klug.com>
Subject Caching design issue
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:28:05 GMT
Hello all,

while having a deep look into Cocoon-2 for using it in commercial
projects, I found 2 issues that robbed my sleep... ;)

- Using the <util:cacheable/>-tag suggests that an XSP page with this
tag may be set up as cacheable; the stylesheet
org/apache/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/java/util.xsl turns
this tag into a function called "isCacheable(Request)"; I used a
brute-force grep over the whole source tree, but I could not find any
call to this function, so it seems this is currently sort of deprecated.

- Using <map:match type="regexp" pattern="..."> and
<map:parameter>-tags, I made an XSP-page which takes the parameters and
generates SVG for navigational images, effectively turning a URI like
/image/navigation/black/white/Cocoon%202.jpg into an JPEG image with a
black "Cocoon 2" text on a white background; it worked perfectly,
changing the colors or the text changes the resulting images. Sadly, the
caching performance is nonexistant, as there is just one cached stream
result per pipeline instead of one cached stream result per URL per
pipeline; I am currently looking for easy ways to resolve this design
issue and I would be happy to hear any ideas.

Best regards,

Michael