cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Carvalho <sergio.carva...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Linux and Tomcat crashes
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:41:59 GMT
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:56:16 -0700 (PDT)
Benjamin Franz <snowhare@nihongo.org> wrote:

> We actually had to abandon using servlets for XSLT rendering because of
> this. We did not find any successful work arounds otherwise.

Is the crash point definable? i.e. Can you state that it crashes when answering 1000 requests,
or 100 requests or 10? If it is definable, you can have requests queued for delivery (by using
an apache server as the front-end for example), thus keeping load values low.

Every web server has a crash point. If not because of the server itself (as is the case with
Java-based servers), then because system resources dry out. You always have to keep the server
below crash point. If not, either the server will crash or the system will start thrashing
and will grind to a halt.

Sergio