cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: C2 needs X11???
Date Mon, 28 May 2001 00:32:32 GMT
On Mon, 28 May 2001, SÚrgio Carvalho wrote:

> Just checked out C2's last CVS, built and installed it on Tomcat 4. It
> won't start, because batik needs an X server to start! This is
> downright unusable in most server environments. I never deploy X
> servers on server machines. Besides imposing unneeded load, X raises
> security issues better left away from server machines.
>
> Comments on this?

that's too bad. sun's jdk for unix, and i think ibm's as well, needs to
have access to an x server to do anything in the graphics arena. this
situation has existed for a number of years - i reckon there are some
tricks people have discovered over time. love to hear what ideas you come
up with; i've several but haven't needed to deploy c2+batik in a
production unix environment yet so haven't bothered to test them yet.

- donald