cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [c2] simple question on map:redirect-to semantics
Date Sun, 20 May 2001 20:12:24 GMT
On Sun, 20 May 2001, giacomo wrote:

> > > Speaking so we need to define how the concrete HttpEnvironment
> > > interprets the string specified in the uri attribute for different
> > > contexts the system is in.
> > >
> > >                root-sitemap  sub-sitemap      sub-sub-sitemap
> > > uri: foo/bar   /ctx/foo/bar  /ctx/sub/foo/bar /ctx/sub1/sub2/foo/bar
> > > uri: /foo/bar  /ctx/foo/bar  /ctx/foo/bar     /ctx/foo/bar
> > > uri: //foo/bar /foo/bar      /foo/bar         /foo/bar
> > >
> > > A question remaining is "how do I specify in the sub-sub-sitemap a uri
> > > for the sub-sitemap". Well either with ../foo/bar or with /sub1/foo/bar.
> > >
> > > I don't like using a already used protocol specifier like context://
> > > because it already has a semantic like "pointing into the file system
> > > structure at the Environments root contexts". Using it in the uri
> > > attribute will change that semantic "pointing into the uri space
> > > structure at the Environments root uri space".
> > that's true and I don't like context:// here neither, but I think we can agree
> > upon that /sub1/foo/bar is useless (ok, not completely :-)) (it breaks
> > the context independency)
>
> ?? Why does it break context independancy? As you can determine from the
> samples I've made above specifying /sub1/foo/bar in an redirects uri
> attribute will result in an URL like /ctx/sub1/foo/bar.  Isn't this
> context independant?

uh, no... i have a c2 webapp living on www.example.com, mounted under
'/webapp'. when i issue a redirect in the sitemap to "/foo/bar", _my_
browser goes to 'http://www.example.com/foo/bar', _not_
'http://www.example.com/webapp/foo/bar'.  do you experience different
behavior?

> > and ../foo/bar is too awkward to be universal
> > cure...
>
> Well, this is how URLs can be specified anyway.

as i think martin and i can attest, this isn't a good solution for all
cases.

- donald