cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [patch] esql null column handling
Date Tue, 15 May 2001 16:28:06 GMT
On Tue, 15 May 2001, Sergio Carvalho wrote:

> > > In my opinion, if() is why we can put code into the XML. If's in XML look
> > > like crap. With donald's suggestion you can just use Java's if().
> >
> > i concur (obviously). you can do what you want to do like so:
>
> It is far from obvious. I certainly did not know that the set of esql
> tags is meant to be dependent on Java. If you approach the 'if'
> problem by stating it is simpler in Java, you will tie esql to Java
> XSPs. I must say this is not how I saw the logicsheet, and it is the
> reason for implementing null-handling in a language independent
> syntax.

er, no. esql is not dependent on java at all - there's a perl
implementation out there in axkit. it _is_ an xsp logicsheet though, which
means that esql page authors can rely on having a procedural programming
language available via the xsp:logic and xsp:expr tags. matt's point (with
which i wholeheartedly agree) is that flow control in xsp pages should
always be done using the procedural language.

- donald