cocoon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From giacomo <>
Subject Re: Issues left for going beta
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 09:36:39 GMT

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2001, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > The discussion and voting about moving the <parameter> element into
> > the map namespace will block the beta release until it's done because
> > this is a change of the sitemap syntax/semantic and we cannot do it
> > afterward because it will break backward compatability. I know that it
> > will not be a trivial change to whoever will patch the sitemap.xsl
> > file because of some code optimation done there based on namespace
> > tests (see my recent response to Marcus Crafters question about those
> > tests).
> i'd say wait on doing the beta release until we've decided and implemented
> this,

AFAIR the voting is closed and the decision was to put the parameter
element under the map namespace and leave the configuration as it is
today (well, some votes for eliminatin the convenience to allow writing
<conf map:value="foo"/> instead of <conf>foo</conf>)

> but i don't think issuing a beta should tie our hands in regards to
> changing sitemap semantics. we should consider changes carefully and
> reluctantly, to be sure, but i don't think we should consider the sitemap
> namespace _final_ until we issue a production release.

I haven't in mind to propose it finals. This would stop
further improvement. But
as you mentioned we need to carefully consider changes. Concerning the
parameter and map namespace discussion we'll have to do it before going
beta because changing it afterwards would introduce the first backward
incompatability issue and thats IMHO bad.

> > Another issue is the production of the dists. I've made some test
> > yesterday evening and found that it is very huge (about 18M). After
> > analysing it I've seen that the source dist has all the jar twice in
> > it. Once int the ./lib and once in the ./webapp/WEB-INF/lib directory.
> > How can/Should we reduce it?
> yeah.
> > Also there is no "binary dist" target in the build.xml yet. Well, this
> > might not be a issue for the beta-1 release.
> not so much.
> > A few week/month ago we discussed about standardizing the namespaces
> > we use in C2. The general pattern we agreed upon was:
> >
> >
> >
> > Where APPLICATION is either "cocoon" for cocoon centric applications
> > or "xsp"  for logicsheets, FOOBAR is the name of the application
> > concern and VERSION is another pattern describing the version of the
> > application in the form major.minor which are both positive integers.
> > There have been ports of logicsheets from C1 which don't respect this
> > normation. Should we change those namespaces to the pattern above or
> > have new ones (with similar or equal functionallity) sometimes after
> > going beta?
> change the namespaces, except for esql, which is a special case since the
> namespace is in use elsewhere.
> > So, your comments and votes :)
> i vote early next week.

Ehm.., do you intend voting for the parameter map namespace issue (well
I don't recall you placed your vote about it)

> after that, people need to get serious with the
> docs.



To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message