cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Restricting objectModel
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 06:20:29 GMT

Dead developpers

A recent question on the user list "how can I put my own stuff into the
objectModel" forced me to rethink about the the concept of the
objectModel.

Let me resume: The Cocoon core engine doesn't really care about the
environment it runs in. Thus we introduced the notion of an abstract
Environment with the absolute minimum of functionality needed
exclusively by the Cocoon engine to be able to work. To have a contract
between a concrete Environment and the sitemap components, which are BTW
the only component which need to know about the conrete Environment they
run in, we introduced the objectModel as a container for important
environmental objects. The concrete servlet Environment implemented
today uses the objectModel to put in the Request, Response and Context
objects of the servlet environment. This enables the Cocoon engine to
operate in almost any environment (ie. Apache James [SMTP] or an EJB
container) by simply creating an concrete Environment class.

Now, I'd like to change the type of the objectModel from a Map to an
Avalon Context. This will downgrade it to an read-only object preventing
users from putting their own stuff in it.

If nobody gives me a reasonable -1 I'd volunteer to change it the way
I've proposed.

Please your quick comments about it.

Giacomo