cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject RE: AW [LONG]: [C2] Providing and using soap services
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 08:59:30 GMT

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Michael Homeijer wrote:

> I think this is more motivation to write a logic sheet to implement the soap
> client in Cocoon.
> The logic sheet provides the basic soap handling java code (based on the
> soap envelope you want to send to the server and some additional meta data
> about the service) and through additional tags it will be possible to pass
> complex parameters, such as an array of objects, or get results from the
> soap call and have some extra java processing before the result is output.
> ... Still not sure if I should build a tranformer or a logic sheet for this,
> maybe some sample code could help me ;-) ..... anybody?

I think Uli as already written a SOAP logicsheet (well for C1 but anyway
it should be portable to C2 IMHO).

> As for the soap server, soap is more or less a requirement and i'd like to
> fit this into cocoon as much as possible so the developers can still focus
> on the cocoon techniques/approach. We are trying to standardize the way we
> build web applications and webservices. I think using Cocoon as a server
> that accepts soap envelopes is the method we go for.....

I think this could be a great enhancement for C2 to act as a SOAP
server.

> Any ideas?

I haven't carefully though about it but it springs into my mind that a
combination of

Action -> XSP -> Transformer -> XSMLSerializer should do it.

The Action accepts the SOAP call and calls the service requested which
results get populated into the ie. response object. The XSP can read the
data from there and form a general xml output which a stylesheet in the
transformer step makes the SOAP response document sent to the client
with the XMLSerializer.

One reason why C2 should be able to act as a SOAP server is if one has
to support HTML clients as well as SOAP clients for the exact same kind
of requests. This way you will be able to reuse code already written for
HTML clients as well as for SOAP clients.

Giacomo