cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Caching and non caching pipelines
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 17:48:27 GMT

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Giacomo Pati a écrit :
> >
> > Hi all
> >
> > Lately I had the idea of controlling the cache capability in the sitemap and
> > want to know your oppinions about it.
> >
> > Lets say we put the StreamPipeline and EventPipeline under the control of a
> > ComponentSelector in the cocoon.xconf like this:
> >
> >    <stream-pipeline>
> >      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
> >      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
> >    </stream-pipeline>
> >
> >    <event-pipeline>
> >      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
> >      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
> >    </event-pipeline>
> >
> > In the sitemap we could choose which one to use by using the following:
> >
> >    <map:pipeline chaching="on">
> >      <map:match ...>
> >    </map:pipeline>
> >
> > and
> >
> >    <map:pipeline caching="off">
> >      <map:match ...>
> >    </map:pipeline>
> >
> > This means that resources produced from a pipeline with caching="on" uses the
> > caching pipeline components and the other not having caching on by default.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
> >

> Could you please explain the exact semantic of map:pipeline in the
> sitemap (don't know much about it) ? In the samples, it's used for
> mounting sub-sitemaps (why should mounting points be isolated in their
> own pipeline ?) and specifying error handlers. So I guess it's used to
> define "areas" of the site that share some common characteristics.

The only sematics of the <map:pipeline> so far is that it has its own
<map:handle-error> element to style error messages per map:pipeline (and
recently that you can specify that resources in it can only be access
from internal request from the aggregator and XIncludeSAXConnector)

> If so, I'd prefer to specify caching at the map:match level, because you
> may have both cached and non-cached content (e.g. XSP and images files)
> in a single area of the site.

I don't like that. It is nothing a sitemap maintainers should be
concerned of (BTW it has been discussed in the caching RT thread). Now I
regret having made that proposal without thinking that the hole
discussion flames up again.

Giacomo