cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XincludeSAXconnector
Date Sat, 05 May 2001 20:48:47 GMT

On Sat, 5 May 2001, Donald Ball wrote:

> > I'm working on a sample which shows how to use it but IIRC the element
> > is like:
> >
> >   <anyroot xmlns:xinclude="http://www.w3.org/1999/XML/xinclude">
> >     <xinclude:include src="foobar"/>
> >   </anyroot>
> >
> > where the foobar from the src attribute denotes a url from the sitemap.
> > For the other attributes please look at
> > src/org/apache/cocoon/components/saxconnector/XIncludeSAXConnector.java.
> >
> > > and would the authors of this component care to address my concerns about
> > > its namespace - that is to say, should we change the namespace on which it
> > > operates or patch it to conform to the xinclude spec?
> >
> > Ok, let's change the namespace uri. Do you have a suggestion?
>
> hmm, something like http://apache.org/cocoon/include/1.0 would work :)

Ok, would you patch it?

> > > (i still don't think
> > > we need to be able to do xincludes via this hidden mechanism when we can
> > > do it explicitly using the transformer, but it's not a strong opinion).
> >
> > This is not correct. The XIncludeTransformer is not capable of using
> > sitemap URLs (and I honestly don't see it to be available to "normal"
> > sitemap component). Whereas XIncludeSAXConnector is *only* able to get
> > its included events directly from a sub pipeline from sitemap URLs and
> > this is a big advantage over XIncludeTransformer (not to mention the
> > view point of the cache).
>
> ah, okay, that makes perfect sense. still not sold on the architecture,
> but that's neither here nor there.

Best we can do I think is extend the XIncludeSAXConnector to make it
(more or less) compliant to the xinclude standard and have the href
attribute interpreted as "normal" URLs or with a cocoon:// protocol
specifier as sitemap URIs.

This way we can get rid of the XIncludeTransformer (I know you don't
like it :).

Giacomo