cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From giacomo <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] Building SOAP services / SunOne Architecture
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 08:26:21 GMT

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Michael Homeijer wrote:

> Has anyone looked into a way to build SOAP services with C2 or how C2 fits
> into the SunOne architecture?
> Would it make sense to build smart web services with techniques that cocoon
> 2 uses, like XSP, actions etc.

I've thought about it and I personally see it as a great improvement but
have not had the time to go deeper into it.

> Looking at the concept the only thing that changes is the client,

Correct.

> until now
> it was a browser with SunOne it can be another application, performing

I'm not too familiar with SunOne yet, so I cannot say anything about it.

> requests and processing results. But...... cocoon 2 is built on a servlet

To be correct, the environment C2 is embeded is a servlet as well as the
commandline environment. The Cocoon engine is mostly abstracted from the
environment and thus could be embedded into any Request/response
architecture (even SMTP I guess).

> and SOAP does not use anything like a servlet, you just deploy classes.

SOAP is a protocol. There are implementation (Apache SOAP) which are
based on a servlet responding to SOAP requests over HTTP.

> Anybody has an idea how C2 could still be used (or classes from C2) to
> implement these services?

As far as I see it, it's a matter of having a SOAP Action which handles
the SOAP requests (handing it over to deployed services) and populating
the results somehow to make an SOAP-XSP able to process it and transform
it into a SOAP-Response which gets serialized to the requesting client.

Giacomo