cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: [C2] Sitemap Components, Content-Negotiation and Caching
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 03:05:25 GMT
On 6 May 2001, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:

> if you think this is not relevant before the beta release, please tell
> me. If this issue is not just a matter of missing docs or lack of
> understanding by myself, I think this could cause a minor but
> necessary change to some interfaces within the components' request
> handling.
>
> The Problem
> ===========
>
> Multiple sitemap components within a pipeline may consider multiple
> aspects ("dimensions") of a request. A HTTP server must/should tell
> the client (be it user agent or cache) which aspects the delivered
> data depends on. The means to tell this is the HTTP/1.1 "Vary:"
> header.
>
> However, there seems to be no mechanism in Cocoon 2 by which the
> components can set the "Vary:" header in a cooperative fashion to
> correctly reflect all considered aspects.

naively speaking, i'd reckon that it'd be the job of the cache manager to
set the HTTP/1.1 Vary header. components can (and do, right?) tell the
cache manager what variables upon which they vary. i think right now it's
done on an ad hoc basis throughout the components. i reckon carsten would
know a bit better?

- donald