cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: caching vs. xsp
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 09:56:28 GMT
> Torsten Curdt wrote:
>
> I was just wondering... isn't a compiled serverpage
> theoretically the fasted way to create a SAX representation
> of a page? If so, caching makes sense only at the end of the
> pipeline for serverpages. Is this where we are at, Carsten?
> --
> Torsten
I am not quiet sure if I get you right on this. But let's see:
First, what is faster: parsing a small xml file but the
file generator or doing some big database queries using a
compiled serverpage? So you can't say, that a compiled
serverpage is the fasted way.

Second, the caching algorithm caches as much as possible of
a pipeline, this means if e.g. the generator and all
transformers and the serializer are cacheable, then the whole
pipeline is cached.
If only the generator and the first transformer is cacheable,
a second transformer not and the serializer is again cacheable,
only the output of the generator and the first transformer
is cached and send to the second transformer (and the serializer).

If the serverpage performs some heavy tasks it might even
be more performant to cache directly after the serverpage as
all the computations had only be done once.

I hope I got you right. Did I?

Carsten