cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: [C2] Sitemap Components, Content-Negotiation and Caching
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 06:30:58 GMT
> Donald Ball wrote:
>

> On 6 May 2001, Hans Ulrich Niedermann wrote:
>
> > if you think this is not relevant before the beta release, please tell
> > me. If this issue is not just a matter of missing docs or lack of
> > understanding by myself, I think this could cause a minor but
> > necessary change to some interfaces within the components' request
> > handling.
> >
> > The Problem
> > ===========
> >
> > Multiple sitemap components within a pipeline may consider multiple
> > aspects ("dimensions") of a request. A HTTP server must/should tell
> > the client (be it user agent or cache) which aspects the delivered
> > data depends on. The means to tell this is the HTTP/1.1 "Vary:"
> > header.
> >
> > However, there seems to be no mechanism in Cocoon 2 by which the
> > components can set the "Vary:" header in a cooperative fashion to
> > correctly reflect all considered aspects.
>
> naively speaking, i'd reckon that it'd be the job of the cache manager to
> set the HTTP/1.1 Vary header. components can (and do, right?) tell the
> cache manager what variables upon which they vary. i think right now it's
> done on an ad hoc basis throughout the components. i reckon carsten would
> know a bit better?

Yes, this is correct. Each component knows on which aspects it depends.
So this component is currently responsible for setting the correct headers.
For example the BrowserSelector sets the "Vary: User-Agent" header etc.
If a component depends on other values it has to set them by itself. This
is the only working solution right now.

Carsten