cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vgritse...@hns.com>
Subject RE: Restricting objectModel
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 13:27:56 GMT
Carsten,

</skip>

> > > I forget some important point:
> > > I know that the "correct" way of passing information should not be
> > > the objectModel. You will tell me in your next email that I could use
> > > the session or the request object for this, right?
> >
> > Absolutely :)
> >
> > > The problem with this is that some servlet engines (like BEA WLS 6.0)
> > > requires that even the attributes of the request are serializable.
> >
> > Shit, is this a standard?
>
> Not sure about the standard, but BEA WLS 6.0 is known for exactly this
> (there are discussions about this over on in the bea newsgroups.)
> Our tests did prove this.

You do not need to perform any tests to confirm this: If you think about running
your application in clustered environment and remember that serialization is the
only way of replicating your session into backup server - than it would be obvious
to you why it's done this way :)

And about request attributes - that may be done for automatic failover / load
balancing - I'm not so sure why is this done this way...

So, may be, you want your objects to be serializable to run well in cluster.

Regards,
Vadim