cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Cocoon Beta Tasks
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 07:01:48 GMT

I know we are close, but just how close are we?  We
are pretty close to releasing a portion of our solution
to a customer, and we would like to avoid the sticky
subject of "Why are you using Alpha Software".  This
becomes an issue with customers who are used to many
commercial company's definitions of alpha (meaning I
wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole if I were you).
<<
This is an issue we have been going through since the beginning of this year
(when _we_ released the first version of our solution. Up to now we have
been able to convince customers that the term "Alpha" in the Cocoon project
is different from the same term in a commercial project. However this has
worked mainly due to the fact that we are able to say that we (meaning
Carsten and a couple of others here) are able to correct any bugs in the
Cocoon code and so we guarantee quick response times in case of errors.

However we have also been saying that Cocoon 2 beta is just "weeks away" for
some time now and so I really think we need to do this "real soon now". No
one expects all the bugs to be fixed in a beta version. What is needed at
the moment (IMO) is a freeze of the interfaces, sitemap definitions etc.
This will give Cocoon 2 stability and make it easier for us to convince
customers to go for a Cocoon 2 based platform (and probably help many others
out there currently doing the same).

So I would hope that we can agree on officialy :-) announcing a Cocoon 2
beta in the coming days.

What is left to do (apart from bug fix)?

Matthew Langham

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]