cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: [C2][Vote]Sitemap configuration and parameter syntax
Date Mon, 14 May 2001 10:12:54 GMT
> Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com] wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I recently suggested that the <parameter> element in sitemap pipelines
> should belong to the "map:" namespace for consistency. For the full
> (long) story and explanations, see
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=98957085817947&w=4
>
> As I stated, the sitemap will be the visible part of Cocoon for most
> users and thus consistency is important here (it's also important for
> automated sitemap processing, more on this soon...). Since no consensus
> has come out from the discussion, I'd like your opinions on this
> subject.
>
> First question :
> ----------------
> Should <parameter> belong to the sitemap namespace, and thus be written
> <map:parameter> ?

See below

> Second question :
> -----------------
> Which of the following semantically equivalent notations should be
> allowed in the sitemap ?
> - for configuration (the first 2 ones are already allowed) :
>   <use-store map:value="true"/>
>   <use-store>true</use-store>
>   <map:config name="use-store" value="true"/>
>   <map:config name="use-store">true</map:config>

+1 for only the second one as the configuration is component specific.

> - for parameters :
>   <use-connection map:value="personnel"/>
>   <use-connection>personnel</use-connection>
>   <map:parameter name="use-connection" value="personnel"/>
>   <map:parameter name="use-connection">personnel</map:parameter>

+1 for only the third solution. The availability of the parameters
is given through the sitemap, so the parameter should belong to
the map namespace.

> Your votes, please ?
>
> Here are mine :
> For the first question, I'm +10.
> For the second, I'm +0 (no particular preference), but +10 for
> consistent config and parameter notations (e.g. allow <use-connection
> map:value="personnel"/> if <use-store map:value="true"/> is allowed).

I think we should keep it as simple as possible, e.g. we should only
allow one notion (if possible).
There are often users which are really confused about the possible
difference between two different solutions. The normal user suspects
that there is always a difference between two different looking
solutions.

Carsten