cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: Caching and non caching pipelines
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 10:39:23 GMT
> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> Lately I had the idea of controlling the cache capability in the
> sitemap and
> want to know your oppinions about it.
>
> Lets say we put the StreamPipeline and EventPipeline under the
> control of a
> ComponentSelector in the cocoon.xconf like this:
>
>    <stream-pipeline>
>      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
>      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
>    </stream-pipeline>
>
>    <event-pipeline>
>      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
>      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
>    </event-pipeline>
>
> In the sitemap we could choose which one to use by using the following:
>
>    <map:pipeline chaching="on">
>      <map:match ...>
>    </map:pipeline>
>
> and
>
>    <map:pipeline caching="off">
>      <map:match ...>
>    </map:pipeline>
>
> This means that resources produced from a pipeline with
> caching="on" uses the
> caching pipeline components and the other not having caching on
> by default.
>
> What do you think about this?

I really like this idea. Especially for readers this seems to me very
important as I don't want to cache local images but remote images.

But I am not sure if we should introduce this at the current stage.
I still think that the first "problem" we should address is getting
C2 beta and "stable". We could make a short beta phase and start
soon with the next version of C2 adding all those nice features.

So my vote is:
+1 but not now

Carsten