cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues left for going beta
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 07:51:36 GMT
Quoting "Piroumian, Konstantin" <KPiroumian@flagship.ru>:

> > Dear Developers
>
> (...)
>

> > Ah, the new (the old has this as well IIRC) I18nTransformer uses a
> parameter
> > named src to specify the dictionary to use. I think it should be
> consistent with
> > all sitemap components that such values are best specified in the src
> attribute
> > of the transform element:
> >
> >    <map:transform type="i18n" src="dictionary.xml"/>
>
> Yes, it would be better, but I was thinking of a possibility of
> specifying
> multiple dictionaires for the transformer, something like this:
>
> <map:transform type="i18n">
>     <dictionary src="dict_en.xml" lang="en"/>
>     <dictionary src="dict_de.xml" lang="de"/>
> </map:transform>

This looks like a configuration but I think they are better done using
parameters. Only make sure that parsing those dictionary doesn't occur for every
request :)

> Currently, translations for all languages are listed in one dictionary
> file
> and it is not convenient to work with: somebody has to gather all
> languages
> into one dictionary file. If multiple dictionaries are used then you can
> combine these possibilitites: you can have separate dictionary files for
> every language and translators can easily edit them independently and
> you
> can replace translations for one language independently.

Yes, it makes total sense to separate on the language basis. Sorry, I haven't
thought of this.

> I don't know how can I specify multiple dictionary sources with optional
> additional attribute - lang.
>
> Another, not yet implemented possibility is to allow dictionary
> inclusions
> (like in XSLT):
>
> dictionary.xml
> ---------------------
>
> <include src="dict_ru.xml" lang="ru" />
> <import src="dict_common.xml" />

Yes, could be a additional improvement.

> > And also do we realy need two of them? Are they in such a way
> different
> from
> > each other to legitimate this?
> >

> Yesterday I posted documentation for the new I18nTransformer and there
> is a
> part about migration from the old one. If nobody is interested in the
> old
> transformer then it can be replaced.
>
> It seems that very few people use i18n...

Yes, seems to me, too.

Giacomo