cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [C2] <parameter> or <map:parameter> ?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 13:11:53 GMT
Quoting Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>:

> giacomo a écrit :

> > > well, i'll await the results of the discussion. berin had dissented
> > > slightly. also, how about other non-namespaced elements:
> > >
> > >    <map:transformer     name="xslt"
> > > src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
> > >     <compile-stylesheets map:value="true"/>
> > >     <use-store map:value="false"/>
> > >    </map:transformer>
> > >
> > >    <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
> > > src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
> > >     <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
> > >

> <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
> > >    </map:serializer>
> > >
> > >   <map:selectors default="browser">
> > >    <map:selector name="browser"
> > > factory="org.apache.cocoon.selection.BrowserSelectorFactory">
> > >     <browser name="explorer" useragent="MSIE"/>
> > >     <browser name="pocketexplorer" useragent="MSPIE"/>
> > >
> > > any reason that all of these configuration elements don't belong in
> the
> > > map namespace?
> >
> > Yes :)
> >
> > IMHO they don't belong to the map namespace because they don't have a
> > meaning to the sitemap. The sitemap only passes them along to the
> > components as is either to configure or parameterize the component
> > (because the components can/should not read the sitemap).
> >
> > Giacomo
> >
> It seems like I started a hot discussion ;-)
>
> I was only talking about <parameter> and not configuration elements :
>
> - IMO, parameters are a sitemap concern : they are used to pass
> parameters from the sitemap to its components using
> SitemapModelComponent.setup().
>
> - Configuration elements should not be in the sitemap namespace :
> they're a Configurable concern (and not all SitemapModelComponent are
> configurable), included in the sitemap for component configuration, and
> as such should stay non-namespaced, as all configurations are.

Which sitemap components are not configurable? Generators, Transformers,
Serializers, Matchers, Selectors, Actions, all are configurable. And why is
there a difference of passing data once in the lifetime of a component and
passing it once per request?

> Also, having parameters in the sitemap namespace will ease their
> distinction from configurations if parameters are mixed with
> configurations (AFAIK it's not possible for now, but maybe it could
> arise in future evolutions).

I don't see the distinction from parameters and configuration (except the life
cycle aspect)

Giacomo