cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: some aggregation questions
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 11:26:53 GMT
Quoting Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@dff.st>:

> > > Yes... but I'd like to put elements there...
> > >
> > >     <map:aggregate ...>
> > >       <map:part ... >
> > >          <map:generate .../>
> > >          <map:transform .../>
> > >       </map:part>
> > >       <map:part ... >
> > >          <map:generate .../>
> > >          <map:transform .../>
> > >       </map:part>
> > >       <map:transform .../>
> > >       <map:serialize/>
> > >     </map:aggregate>
> >
> > you can achieve the same results by putting each of the
> generate/transform
> > blocks in their own 'named' pipeline - but i agree, doing it this way
> > would be handy sometimes. it doesn't break any seperation of concerns
> that
> > i can see, just an alternate syntax.

Ok, let's discuss this. The initial proposal was like the first sample above
which nobody objected or came with another suggestion.

Now, after implementing that Torsten came up with another syntax (second
sample above).

So how should the <map:aggregate> snippet look like:

a) like the initial proposal
b) like Torstens proposal
c) a combination of both (ie. map:part must be empty if src attribute
   specified otherwise there should be generators/transformers inside
   map:part).

> Hm, Giacomo, to you think this is hard to change?

Well I don't think it should be that hard :)

> Putting everything
> outside can be really anoying and is makeing the sitemap more complex
> than it should be.

I don't agree here. I think it make sense to define separate pipelines somewhere
in the sitemap and finally aggregate them into one single resource (ie.
debugging aspects).

Look, people will soon come with having actions, matcher and selectors inside
map:part as well which doesn't make it look better. What would you tell them
than? I feel it make more sense to have them separated. You see each single
pipeline as it is and also see the aggregation how it is done as compact
snippets in the sitemap.

> If you can give some hints - maybe I can change it myself...

sitemap.xsl ContentAgregator.java

Giacomo