cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [C2]Results of [Vote]Sitemap configuration and parameter syntax
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 16:43:25 GMT

Giacomo Pati a écrit :

> Quoting Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com>:
>

> > Giacomo Pati a écrit :

> > vote
> > >
> > > Give me some time to decide :)
> >
> > Oh, sorry !! You've said to be "half-way conviced" so I thought you were
> > waiting other's opinion. My mystake, I'm waiting ;-))

> > > And here is my -1 for parameters belonging to the map namespace. (IIRC
> > there has
> > > been another -1 for parameters belonging to the map namespace).
> > >

> > All -1 were for component configuration in the sitemap namespace. Berin
> > gave -0.5 for map:parameter.
> >
> > BTW is a -1 a veto ?
>
> I don't want to veto against the majority :) just stating my opinion about it as
> strong as I can :)
>
> Again:
>    Parameters not in the map namespace (means leave it as it is today).
>    Configuration not in the map namespace.
>
> The convenience to specify values in the map namespace comes from the early
> design decision and thus as the oldie here :) I'd like to give it a +0.5.
>
> I'd like to clarify that I'm not the ruler here (but somtimes the advocatus
> diaboli to see if old design decision still make sense ;)
>
> Giacomo

And I'd like to say that I don't want to be a PITA, even if there's been
some noise from me in the past few days ;)

I understand that Cocoon "old timers" and best contributors like what
they've built and used for a long time. I'm a newcomer, and came here
because I love what you did and the way you did it. I didn't contribute
much for now (hopefully this will change), but have fresh eyes on all
this and want to show up what I consider to be small remaining
inconsistencies that are the result of all the design iterations that
led to today's Cocoon. Considering the huge work that's been done, this
is the final polishing before Cocoon spreads the world...

> > against,
> > >
> > > My vote here is +1 for the 2. version and +.5 for the 1st one because
> > of legacy.
> > >
> > > Giacomo
> > >

> > For the 1st, I like Carsten's opinion : don't allow duplicate notations,
> > users will get confused about it. And it's not much change in the
> > existing sitemaps.

So, the (final?) results are :
- map:value in configuration should be deprecated : it had -1 form
Carsten and Berin, +0.5 from Giacomo. I voted 0, but finally don't like
much this namespace-mixed notation.
- namespace-less configurations : +1 from all but Martin (+0)
- move "parameter" to the sitemap namespace : +1 from Carsten, Martin,
Dims (during the discussion) and me, -0.5 from Berin and -1 from
Giacomo.

So, should I go on this time ? No more votes ?