cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [c2] the dreaded arrayindexoutofbounds exception returns
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 21:18:19 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute
> pipeline.:java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: -1, Size: 0
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.process(CachingEventPipeline.java:219)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingStreamPipeline.process(CachingStreamPipeline.java:339)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:897)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(sitemap_xmap.java:738)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:159)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:97)
>         at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.process(Cocoon.java:288)
>         at
> org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.service(CocoonServlet.java:442)
>
> i just got this after leaving my c2 webapp alone for many hours. a tomcat
> restart later and it's back to normal. what gives? this is for sure a show
> stopper bug. :)

Hopefully I fixed this.  JaxpParser is no longer Poolable or Recyclable and
is SingleThreaded.  The reason being is that Xerces told us (on their site)
that you can't use a parser twice.  It is subject to race conditions, and if
it is used again before it is done cleaning itself up, we will get the
dreaded IndexOutOfBoundsException.

This is the only way I know of to handle this issue--short of hacking Xerces
code to allow a Parser to be reused.