cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [C2] <parameter> or <map:parameter> ?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 15:58:40 GMT

Berin Loritsch a écrit :
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >
> > Also, having parameters in the sitemap namespace will ease their
> > distinction from configurations if parameters are mixed with
> > configurations (AFAIK it's not possible for now, but maybe it could
> > arise in future evolutions).
> Configuration elements comprise EVERYTHING that is a sub of the
> sitemap component declaration:
> <map:generator name="foo" class="foo.Generator">
>   <parameter name="foo-param" value="bar-value"/>
>   <pool-controller min="1" max="10000"/>
>   <email>
>     <server>localhost</server>
>     <address></address>
>   </email>
> </map:generator>
> In the above situation, every child is part of the configuration
> for the "foo" generator--including the <parameter/> element.  These
> must not be made to be in the "map:" namespace.  It would preclude
> the ability to convert the Configuration into Parameters in a simple
> and sane manner.  This approach is used for some of the Components
> already, and I would be -3 on seeing that go.

Totally agree : in this case, <parameter> is really a configuration
element. I'm considering only <parameter> elements in the pipelines, and
that's why I'm suggesting to put them in the sitemap namespace, in order
to avoid potential confusion as in the example above.

> Regarding the parameters that are in the <map:pipeline/>, <map:view/>,
> or <map:resource/> areas, am -0.  I prefer to see consistency.  Parameters
> are configuration inforamation--even if they are runtime configuraiton
> information.  They are configuration none-the-less.

Disagree : the Configuration can be thought of as constructor parameters
(once in the component's life) while sitemap Parameters are like method
invocation parameters (see answer to Giacomo in next post...).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message