cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [C2] <parameter> or <map:parameter> ?
Date Thu, 10 May 2001 12:09:25 GMT

giacomo a écrit :

> On Wed, 9 May 2001, Donald Ball wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 9 May 2001, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> >
> > > +1. Donald, would you like to take a shot?
> >
> > well, i'll await the results of the discussion. berin had dissented
> > slightly. also, how about other non-namespaced elements:
> >
> >    <map:transformer     name="xslt"
> > src="org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer">
> >     <compile-stylesheets map:value="true"/>
> >     <use-store map:value="false"/>
> >    </map:transformer>
> >
> >    <map:serializer name="wap"    mime-type="text/vnd.wap.wml"
> > src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.XMLSerializer">
> >     <doctype-public>-//WAPFORUM//DTD WML 1.1//EN</doctype-public>
> >
> > <doctype-system>http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/wml_1.1.xml</doctype-system>
> >    </map:serializer>
> >
> >   <map:selectors default="browser">
> >    <map:selector name="browser"
> > factory="org.apache.cocoon.selection.BrowserSelectorFactory">
> >     <browser name="explorer" useragent="MSIE"/>
> >     <browser name="pocketexplorer" useragent="MSPIE"/>
> >
> > any reason that all of these configuration elements don't belong in the
> > map namespace?
>
> Yes :)
>
> IMHO they don't belong to the map namespace because they don't have a
> meaning to the sitemap. The sitemap only passes them along to the
> components as is either to configure or parameterize the component
> (because the components can/should not read the sitemap).
>
> Giacomo

It seems like I started a hot discussion ;-)

I was only talking about <parameter> and not configuration elements :

- IMO, parameters are a sitemap concern : they are used to pass
parameters from the sitemap to its components using
SitemapModelComponent.setup().

- Configuration elements should not be in the sitemap namespace :
they're a Configurable concern (and not all SitemapModelComponent are
configurable), included in the sitemap for component configuration, and
as such should stay non-namespaced, as all configurations are.

Also, having parameters in the sitemap namespace will ease their
distinction from configurations if parameters are mixed with
configurations (AFAIK it's not possible for now, but maybe it could
arise in future evolutions).

That's why I'm +1 for the change.

-Sylvain