cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Caching and non caching pipelines
Date Wed, 09 May 2001 12:22:55 GMT

Giacomo Pati a écrit :

> Hi all
>
> Lately I had the idea of controlling the cache capability in the sitemap and
> want to know your oppinions about it.
>
> Lets say we put the StreamPipeline and EventPipeline under the control of a
> ComponentSelector in the cocoon.xconf like this:
>
>    <stream-pipeline>
>      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
>      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
>    </stream-pipeline>
>
>    <event-pipeline>
>      <caching name="CachingPipeline"/>
>      <non-caching name="NonCachingPipeline"/>
>    </event-pipeline>
>
> In the sitemap we could choose which one to use by using the following:
>
>    <map:pipeline chaching="on">
>      <map:match ...>
>    </map:pipeline>
>
> and
>
>    <map:pipeline caching="off">
>      <map:match ...>
>    </map:pipeline>
>
> This means that resources produced from a pipeline with caching="on" uses the
> caching pipeline components and the other not having caching on by default.
>
> What do you think about this?

Could you please explain the exact semantic of map:pipeline in the
sitemap (don't know much about it) ? In the samples, it's used for
mounting sub-sitemaps (why should mounting points be isolated in their
own pipeline ?) and specifying error handlers. So I guess it's used to
define "areas" of the site that share some common characteristics.

If so, I'd prefer to specify caching at the map:match level, because you
may have both cached and non-cached content (e.g. XSP and images files)
in a single area of the site.

Also referring to the previous thread ("some aggregation questions"),
the "internal-only" attribute should be better placed on map:match,
otherwise you have to split aggregated pages and their parts across two
pipelines and IMHO, it degrades the readability of the sitemap.

--
Sylvain Wallez