cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: can we move roles.xconf
Date Mon, 07 May 2001 12:56:47 GMT

Berin Loritsch a écrit :
> giacomo wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to suggest to move the roles.xconf file out of the src tree
> > somewhere near to the cocoon.xconf file (BTW I'd like to move
> > cocoon.xconf and roles.xconf file into the WEB-INF directory).
Isn't it "cocoon.roles" ?

> You can move cocoon.xconf anywhere you want.  The major issue is that
> the roles.xconf file should not be accessible outside the jar.  It does
> not contain anything that the average user should alter.  It's existance
> outside the Cocoon jar will generate alot of questions along the lines
> of "what is this roles.xconf file", "what can I change in there", and
> "I changed something and Cocoon doesn't work anymore".  It was separated
> out, because the roles.xconf file is PURELY a developer's concern--so
> it shouldn't be easily accessible.
> > On the user list someone asked how to deploy own components without
> > access to the roles.xconf file because it is packed up into the
> > cocoon.jar.
> Easy:
> <component role="com.mycom.myproj.myrole" class="com.mycom.myproj.myclass"/>
> Or if they have something that they need to do selection with:
> <component role="com.mycom.myproj.myroleSelector"
>  class="org.apache.avalon.excalibur.DefaultComponentSelector">
>   <component-instance name="foo" class="com.mycom.myproj.myclass"/>
>   <component-instance name="bar" class="com.mycom.myproj.myotherclass"/>
> </component>
> > The location of the roles.xconf file should be declared similar to the
> > sitemap.xmap declaration in the cocoon.xconf file.
> Not necessarily.
> > Any volunteer for a simple patch :)
> That patch will affect Avalon Excalibur--which is entering code freeze today.
I totally agree that cocoon.roles is a developper concern, but when
Cocoon is the base of a bigger system which defines new components, it
would be nice to be able to define new roles for them instead of using
<component> elements.

What do you think of adding an optional attribute to the top-level
"cocoon" element that names an alternate roles definition file that is
loaded from the classpath, i.e. <cocoon role-defs="mysystem.roles"> ?
This affects only, and not Excalibur.

Sylvain Wallez
Anyware Technologies -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: