cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <>
Subject Avalon Pre-Anouncement
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 14:06:41 GMT
Because Cocoon 2 is one of the major clients of the Avalon
Framework and Excalibur (the new name for Avalon Components),
I wanted to give you a heads up about Avalon Beta Release

Framework and Excalibur were scheduled to go into code freeze
tomorrow.  However, this will be delayed until Monday because
Avalon LogKit is performing the same package migration as the
rest of Avalon.  This will affect a couple of classes in
Framework and possibly Excalibur.  This will also affect some
classes and the log XSP sheet in Cocoon 2.

At this point, Framework and Excalibur (and most likely LogKit)
are scheduled for a Beta 1 release date of Friday May 11.  I
don't forsee any Show Stoppers that would prevent that release

As some of you know, the release plans for Framework and
Excalibur have three releases: Beta 1 (API stability),
Beta 2 (Documentation), and Final Release.  Once we have
released the Beta of Avalon Framework, the API should be
pretty much set in stone.  This was important for Cocoon 2
because users of Cocoon should not be subjected to the
same volitility of the underlying framework as has been
experienced in the last month.

We appreciate all of your patience and bug reports.  In the
spirit of funneling the bug reports to the propoer locations,
I will list the parts of Avalon Excalibur that Cocoon uses:

org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component (The component management
                                       system--automatic lifecycle
                                       management, etc.)

org.apache.avalon.excalibur.datasource (The JDBC connection pooling
                                        and line testing system)

org.apache.avalon.excalibur.pool (The pool mechanisms for datasource
                                  and component packages)

If anyone experiences issues that they believe can be traced to
these packages, please post them on the Avalon Developers list.
We would like to release as bug free as possible.

Thank you all for your patience, and we look forward to all
the users that benefit from the Avalon project.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, email:

View raw message